When you think of summer, you think vacation. Seniors need to plan a little more, but they can still make sure their vacation is enjoyable. While planning your vacation, be it a weekend getaway, or an extended trip, consider these tips to cover all of your bases.
- Meet with your doctor or health care provider to make sure you are healthy enough for traveling, and get a copy of your medical records to have with you in case of emergency.
- Take extra prescription medications and pack them in your carry-on. If your luggage is lost or there is a delay in returning home, you will be prepared.
- Get up and stretch your legs. Staying active helps prevent blood clots.
- Plan ahead when booking accommodations. Try to account for mobility, dietary or some medical needs. This is also a good time to check for any money saving senior discounts that may be available.
- Stay hydrated!
- Pack light.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Keep in touch with family members or friends so they know you are safe. Leave them with a copy of your itinerary so they can contact you if necessary.
If you need help developing a plan for older family members, Approved Home Health’s geriatric care managers work with families to provide a client-centered approach to caring for older adults facing ongoing health challenges. Geriatric care managers provide a comprehensive assessment and develop a care plan tailored for each individual’s circumstances. This plan may be modified, in consultation with client and family, as circumstances change. They work with the Approved Home Health aides to be sure the client is receiving the right services.