How do I know if my loved one needs help?

It can be hard to admit that your loved one needs help, but usually if someone is having trouble with the activities of daily living (ADLs) he or she might beed assistance. Approved Home Health has identified 13 signs that can help you determine if you are seeing normal, age-related behavior or something more serious. Learn More

What are ADL's

ADLs are activities of daily living, commonly referred to as custodial care—as opposed to medical care. ADLs may include bathing, dressing, using the bathroom, getting out of bed or eating. Learn More

What’s the difference between a homemaker-companion, a home health aide and a CNA?

The terms may sound the same, but the tasks performed by homemaker-companions, home health aides and certified nursing assistants (CNAs) are quite different. Homemaker-companions provide non-skilled help with household tasks and errands. They are not able to provide any hands-on care. Home health aides can perform household tasks but are also able to provide hands-on assistance with tasks such as bathing, grooming, getting out of bed and walking. CNAs work under a doctor’s orders to provide skilled care including managing medication, wound care, physical therapy and other tasks.

How do I choose a home health agency?

Many factors go in to selecting an agency. Does your loved one need unskilled homemaker-companion services or skilled nursing assistance? Once you have determined the type of service needed, you can narrow down the choices by asking about the hiring policy; if 24/7 care is available; if the agency is insured; if it is accredited and how long has it been in business. Learn More

How much does home nursing care cost and who pays?

The cost of long-term nursing care depends on the type of services needed. Skilled nursing care provided by an RN or LPN may cost up $60 per visit. Personal care services provided by CNA or home health aide or homemaker-companion services from a CNA, home health aide or homemaker may be as low as $19 an hour for three or more hours of service. Personal care and companion-homemaker services are usually private pay or may be covered by long-term care insurance. Skilled nursing care may be private pay or covered by medical insurance or long-term care insurance. Medicare-certified home health care is covered by Medicare/Medicaid. Learn More