You’re familiar with the old story, right? A frog placed in a pot of cool water remains there even as heat gradually increases. The frog ultimately meets an unfortunate end when the water begins to boil.
Family members who serve as primary caregivers often face unforeseen complications from the subtle and gradual increase of stress. The stress that often comes with ongoing caregiving needs may lead to chronic fatigue, anxiety and depression. The result could be missed work or unemployment, guilt or a change in relationship with the patient or significant others.
Approved Home Health can help!
Facts to consider:
- Family caregivers experiencing extreme stress have been shown to age prematurely, taking as much as 10 years off a caregiver’s lifespan.
- Spousal caregivers aged 66-96 have a 63 percent higher mortality rate than non-caregivers of the same age.
- Studies have linked chronic stress to Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Caregivers are at risk for sleep deprivation. Studies show prolonged sleep deprivation is equivalent to a blood-alcohol content of 0.1 percent.
- Twenty-five percent of divorced baby boomers say caregiving played a major role in the divorce.
Special offer for caregivers
Don’t become a frog in a pot. Let Approved Home Health give you a break to recharge.
Get four (4) hours of respite care provided by Approved Home Health for $69, a savings of more than 20 percent!
Call for details and reference this offer. One offer per customer.